The 3D Biomechanics Data Standard
This web site provides definitive information about the C3D file format for programmers, manufacturers and end-users. The C3D format is a public domain, binary file format that has been used in Biomechanics, Animation and Gait Analysis laboratories to record synchronized 3D and analog data since the mid 1980's. It is supported by all 3D major Motion Capture System manufacturers, as well as other companies in the Biomechanics, Motion Capture and Animation Industries.
Within this site you will find:
- Complete information about the C3D file format including an on-line manual.
- Detailed C3D file format specifications and design overview.
- Free C3D software tools and documentation.
- Links to companies with software programs that work with C3D files.
- Sample C3D data files that can be downloaded for testing.
- A downloadable PDF User Manual that can be printed and redistributed.
- The C3Dserver - a free Software Development Kit for C3D files.
- How to read and write C3D files in the MATLAB and LabVIEW environments.
- A suite of "known good" C3D files for software development and testing.
The web site is designed to be easy to access, with a minimum of graphics, so that each page loads quickly. Most pages will load in less than ten seconds over a dial-up modem connection.
Although maintained by Motion Lab Systems, the information provided here is not intended to push a visitor towards any specific hardware or software supplier. The only criteria for information on this site is that it is associated with the C3D format. We welcome comments and program submissions from all C3D users, equipment manufacturers and application vendors.
Please note that the structure of the C3D web site may change significantly when the on-line C3D User Manual or the site itself is updated. If you link to this site we recommend that you link to the web site root www.c3d.org as internal page links will change.